Sunday, September 23, 2007

Mezzaluna and Solas

There's a particular design of mask that's always enchanted me, inspired me and mystified me. It's that asymmetrical sweep, coming down around the cheek and sweeping up into the hair, that I tried to convey in my primitive way in the Celestial Mask, way back when. Someone brought that mask back into my mind recently, asking about a "mate" for it... and I realized it was about time I made a pair of masks based loosely on the sun and the moon.

Solas is a glorious spiky sort of sun god mask, but he's a devil to fit with hair. You'll definitely need a hair that doesn't have bangs, let's put it that way. You can see a bit of my trying to play with designs in textures, this one was tricky for me! I even made myself a male shape especially so that I might experience the whole "being a man wearing one of my masks" thing, and I think you'll find this one will fit a lot better than my other ones, unless of course you have a larger than average nose o.o

But Solas is sadly merely a prelude compared to the one I'm really, really proud of... you had a preview of it, and now you can enjoy the finished version in all of it's elegant glory...

Walking into the store and having this staring at you first thing you see is quite an effect. I'm especially happy with the deep sweeping shading in the eyes that give it that smolderingly sexy mystique. The delicate chain just completes this beautiful line that encompasses the face, and I just can't stop wearing Noam Sprocket of Gritty Kitty's beautiful Needles hair style with it. It's far and away my favorite fauxhawk, and it balances out the curves beautifully. I'm very happy, and I think you folks are too, that I didn't stop with mediocrity :)

3 comments:

Rowan Fairgrove said...

Wow! That so amazing! I can't wait to see it inworld.

Anonymous said...

I just loved this mask when I saw it in-world a few minutes ago! I am not sure if I said that already... we were talking about a lot of feathery things at once. @_@

Anyway, amazing! The sun looks great too. Wow!

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness, I am so glad I got money recently because as soon as I get in world I will be on that like white on rice.